Hurd Strengthens National Security through National Defense Authorization Act
WASHINGTON, DC – Today U.S. Representative Will Hurd supported the FY2019 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), which authorizes funding for our military and national defense. The NDAA passed the House this morning with overwhelmingly bipartisan support and ensures we are prepared to face modern threats by:
- Giving our men and women in uniform their biggest pay raise in nine years;
- Increasing the size of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Naval and Air Reserve, and Air Guard;
- Investing in critical missile defense and nuclear deterrents;
- Supporting the development of new military technologies;
- Providing increased funding for training for all branches and includes necessary upgrades to military aircraft to address the troubling rise in accidents;
- Updating and replacing outdated equipment and crumbling military buildings; and,
- Streamlining the Pentagon bureaucracy and buying practices that limit our military’s flexibility and impose a needless burden on taxpayers.
The NDAA also provides funding for key projects at bases in and nearby the 23rd Congressional District of Texas, including:
- $92.3 million for the construction of a military training dormitory at Lackland AFB in San Antonio;
- Authorization for the Air Force to conduct a core sampling study along the proposed route of a wastewater treatment line at Joint Base San Antonio to determine if any hazardous substances are present in the soil;
- $24 million for supply support at Fort Bliss in El Paso; and,
- $10.2 million for an energy aerospace operations facility at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio.
“Our men and women in uniform sacrifice so much to keep Americans safe. We owe it to them to provide the best possible equipment, training and support to do their jobs safely and efficiently,” said Hurd, who served alongside many of these patriots during his deployments as an undercover officer in the CIA. “Not only does the NDAA take care of those who are in the fight day after day, it also sends a message to our friends and our foes that the United States has the most effective and powerful armed forces in the world and we are ready to defend ourselves against terrorists and nuclear threats.”